jueves, 29 de noviembre de 2018

WOULD - different uses and key to exercises


                  WOULD

1. To express unlikely or unreal situations:
Ex. We wouldn’t be here if we had taken the right train.

2. To express a past hypothesis or regret:
Ex. I wouldn’t have failed if I had worked hard.

3. To express habitual past with active verbs:
Ex. As a child, I’d walk to school every day.

4. To express the future in the past:
Ex. She met the man she would one day marry.

5. To express a refusal:
Ex. The car wouldn’t start.

6. To give advice:
Ex. If I were you, I’d stop smoking now.

7. To introduce cautious opinions:
Ex. I’d say / I’d imagine he is a good colleague.

8. To make polite requests, and express wants and preferences:
Ex. Would you mind opening the window?
I’d like to leave now. I’d prefer to go by train.

9. Past of will (often in reported speech):
Ex. She said she would come.

Key to exercises:


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario